Pawtucket man found guilty of first-degree child molestation

 

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced that a Pawtucket man was found guilty in Providence County Superior Court of first-degree child molestation against a female victim under the age of 14 between 2015 and 2020.

 

On May 24, 2022, following the conclusion of an eight-day trial before Superior Court Justice Jeffrey A. Lanphear, a jury found Miguel Montero (age 41) guilty of one count of first-degree child molestation.

 

The defendant is currently being held without bail pending a sentencing hearing.

 

“Sexual assaults against children at the hands of a trusted adult remain an ongoing, devastating problem in Rhode Island – we have charged over 400 such cases over the last five years alone,” said Attorney General Neronha. “While nothing can reverse the damage caused by this defendant’s reprehensible, criminal misconduct, my hope is that through the jury’s guilty verdict, the victim will know that her voice has been heard and her truth recognized, and that the long prison sentence that will now follow will provide for her a measure of justice.”

 

During the trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that between 2015 and 2020, the defendant sexually assaulted a female victim under the age of 14, who was known to him, at a home in Pawtucket.

 

The victim disclosed the assault to family members in 2020, who then notified the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) and the Pawtucket Police Department. Following a brief investigation, members of the Pawtucket Police Department arrested the defendant on September 23, 2020.

 

“Cases such as these are devastating for the victim and difficult for the community as a whole, however I want to thank the whole team who has worked on this case,” said Acting Public Safety Director, Chief Tina Goncalves. “The Pawtucket Police Department and Attorney General’s Office were dedicated to this case and spent countless hours on the investigation and prosecution.”

 

Assistant Attorney General Shannon Signore and Special Assistant Attorney General Meagan Thomson of the Office of the Attorney General and Detective Justin Gould of the Pawtucket Police Department led the investigation and prosecution of the case.

 

Tensions are running high after an explosive meeting in the Texas town of Uvalde [[ yoo-VAHL-dee ]] where 19 students and two teachers were murdered in a massacre. Relatives of the victims lashed out at the city leaders, demanding accountability. Velma Duran lost her sister Irma, who was a teacher at Robb Elementary. She says victims' families have been stonewalled by the Uvalde District Attorney who's refusing to release information about the investigation.       Gas prices are down from their recent all-time high, but it'll still cost Americans a pretty penny to hit the road this holiday weekend. Triple A says the nationwide average price is four-84 a gallon. It was sitting at just three-12 a gallon this time last year.        Ukrainian President Zelensky says the U.S. decision to send more assistance to his country is historic. The Pentagon announced a new 820-million-dollar package of military supplies to be sent to the war-torn nation as it fights off the Russian invasion. Zelensky thanked President Biden for his "continued leadership and support" of Ukraine in its war against Russia.        The WHO says urgent action is needed after monkeypox cases tripled in two weeks in Europe. Over 90-percent of cases confirmed of the virus have been found in Europe as they've been reported in 31 European countries. Monkeypox is a viral disease that occurs mostly in central and western Africa.       Uber is releasing its latest safety report and the number of sexual assaults. According to company, it received just over 38-hundred reports of sexual assault and misconduct from 2019 through 2020. That's a 38 percent decrease from their prior report from 2017 through 2018.       "Minions: The Rise of Gru" is reeling in over ten-million-dollars in Thursday previews from domestic box offices. The latest entry in the "Despicable Me" franchise is expected to bring in between 65- and 75-million-dollars over the holiday weekend. That puts it on pace to be the lowest first week opening since the original film released in 2010.